<VV> WAS: [fastvair] Oils / compare C6 manual -long NOW: Oil Life System-GM

MSYVairs at aol.com MSYVairs at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 17:26:37 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/31/2005 3:32:36 PM Central Standard Time,
patiomatt at aol.com writes:
Thanks Seth!

"Based on Revs  and Temps"???   NOT  miles....makes sense to me!

Matt

************************************************************8

Matt, Seth:

Let me add to what Seth wrote. Some 2003 and ALL 2004, 2005 GM vehicles have
what is know as the "Oil Life System" built in to the computer. It is based on
engine revolutions, temperature and vehicle "conditions". This algorithm is
the "engine" that drives the computer in the DIC (Driver Information System) to
notify you when your oil needs changing. GM does NOT recommend exceeding
7,500 miles for an oil change even if the system doesn't tell you to change your
oil!

Seth's information is correct...if GM finds that the oil you were using does
not fit the specifications as outlined in the Owners Manual and there is a
possible warranty problem with the engine AND they find it was caused by the
wrong type of oil being used (and they CAN find out!!!) they will refuse the
warranty work and/or payment!

Now don't forget...the Duramax engine has a 100,000 warranty on it while the
gas engines are all 36,000 miles.

Bottom line....while you are under the GM warranty DON'T MESS WITH THE
OIL!!!!!

Bill "Swamp-Rat" Hadley
Denham Springs, LA
Manager, Fleet & Commercial Sales
Manager, GM Dealership Training
Gerry Lane Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Hummer, SAAB, LLC
Baton Rouge, LA