<VV> 64 replacement battery

Mike Ioanes mioanes at woh.rr.com
Sun May 1 18:21:20 EDT 2005

What is the best battery to put in an early Corvair without modifications,
with more cranking power.  I have a group 55 with 260 cranking amps from
Batteries Plus in the car now and it is starting to die.

Thank you,
Mark McKenna
Tucson, AZ
A group 51 or 51R.  The 51R is supposed to have the terminals in the right
place, but the 51 will work if your cables will stretch far enough.
Original application is some Hondas.  Available from Walmart (where I bought
mine),  Sam's and probably anyplace that sells batteries.  BTW, this is
mentioned in the "Corvair Basics Manual"  (shameless plug by the author of
the "Charging & Starting Systems" chapter)
Mike Ioanes