<VV> 66 Corsa Runs well... for the first 2 minutes, then bogs down

Joe West joew at diveaz.com
Wed May 4 18:37:35 EDT 2005

Hi Gang,

Here is an update on the 66 Corsa 140 that likes to run well as long as the
chokes are on:

I checked the stones... they are completely clean.
I replaced the balance tube rubber lines with new ones.
I tested the distributor vacuum line... it did not leak.
I tested the vacuum gauge line... it does not leak.
I tested the metal balance tube... it does not leak.
I ran with the gas cap loose... no difference.
I tightened all of the bolts holding on the carbs.
Accelerator pumps squirt in both primary carbs.
I checked the choke pull off vacuum lines... all are in good shape.
Fuel pump is electric... haven't done anything with it yet.
Checked the PCV orifice... it was unclogged and the appropriate size.
Tried the unlit propane torch test and it didn't raise the idle speed of the
car even if I pointed the end of the torch directly into the carb.

After all the above steps... the car still does not run well unless the
chokes are almost all the way on.

One interesting thing however... I decided to block off the carb throat
completely with my hand to listen for a leak that may become stronger... on
the left hand primary carb, I heard nothing when I sealed the throat off
with the palm of my hand... the car just almost died.  However, when I did
the same test on the right hand side primary carb, I heard what sounded like
a hissing noise coming from somewhere near the base... I can't for the life
of me tell where it is coming from.

Another interesting thing... the factory vacuum gauge reads roughly 8 (not
sure of units) at idle which is exceptionally low if it is accurate (gauge
is steady).  My spyder reads close to 25 at idle.

So... if I put the chokes on she runs like a champ.  Take them off, and she
bogs down something fierce.  The difference is amazing.

It looks like I am still headed towards carburetor rebuilding this weekend
unless anyone has any more ideas.

Joe