<VV> Turbo charge problem

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu May 5 01:05:38 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/4/2005 7:30:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
clliffdar at sbcglobal.net writes:

I have a  problem with my '63 turbo charged Corvair.  I have not been
able to  get the turbine to spin up.

The oil flow is correct, the turbine spins  by hand with a slight drag
(I've been told that is normal).  I even  tried it without the muffler.

The one question I have is could the  turbine wheel or the turbine
housing not be matched?  Do other years  have different wheels/housings?

The only mis-match that could really affect boost would be putting on  a late
exhaust housing onto an early turbo. There wouldn't be much of a path
through the wheel with that set-up. But, unless the engine was assembled like
Johnny Cash' Cadillac - (different parts from different years) I think you  must be
lacking a fully sealed exhaust system. Those exhaust leaks are  responsible
for 90% of the boost problems I have seen. The exhaust would  rather go
anywhere else than through the turbine wheel.

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer at aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette