<VV> Rear Wheel Bearings

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Fri May 6 12:23:23 EDT 2005

Hi Jim,
You do the best you can since you cannot pull off the outer rollers.  If you pull off the retaining ring for the inner rollers and remove the retaining cage and inner rollers, you might gain a little more clearance to the outer rollers.  Some of the bearings do have greater clearance and access with the bearings shells providing more movement and inspection access.  For some you can actually inspect all the rollers and inner corners, but not the outer roller corners.  I like using the spray brake clean with the straw for shooting into the rollers.  Same with using a needle injection on the hand grease gun.  It simply gets the grease into the roller areas better and a lot faster.

While the four retaining bolts will work fine, I like to use two small bolts with self locking nuts, with the nuts on the outside, to replace the rivets.  It just keeps everthing together for storage and installation ease.

If you have the CORSA Tech Guide and Supplement, most of this is excellently explained with good pictures for each step.
Larry