Further on Re: <VV> Turbo charger problem

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat May 7 11:08:45 EDT 2005

Cliff,
       At least 2 things to consider.  First is that it takes TIME and LOAD
to build up boost.  A stock Corvair turbo car driven from stop light to stop
light will rarely whow ANY boost.  To show boost, get the car fully warmed up
and on the open highway.  Run it up a LONG hill at FULL throttle for at least 5
seconds (preferably longer) and you should certainly see some level of boost
develop.  Secondly, even a SMALL exhaust leak can eliminate any boost at all.
You could have a cracked exhaust manifold inside the shrouding (as I did) that
would leak away enough exhaust to eliminate boost.  It sometimes takes
careful and prolonged searching to find the souce of the leaks.  It may well be a
number of rather small and seemingly significant leaks that are affecting your
turbo.  Keep looking.
       Incidentally, I would recommend at least temporarily replacing the
stock manifold pressure gauge with a much large "tuneup" gauge that shows vacuum
and pressure (up to about 10 psi).  These have markings at every ONE psi (mine
has every 1/2 psi) and so give a much better indication of just how much
boost you are actually getting, if any.
       Let us know what you find out.
       Regards,
       Frank "tracer of lost boost" Burkhard