<VV> Re: turbo boost

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Sun May 8 09:09:56 EDT 2005

OK, here's a dumb one. Well, maybe not so dumb. If the engine suffered a
severe backfire, it can twist and snap the shaft. So, take off the carb and the
outlet exhaust pipe, and just make sure the two wheels spin together.
Also, perhaps, you're expecting the same performance as a modern car? These
were quick for a Corvair, but a WRX, etc., will whip one of these handily. <G>

John

In a message dated 5/8/2005 8:56:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
djtcz at comcast.net writes:
> > I get none of the indications that I would expect when getting "boost,"
> > (spin up of the turbine).
> >
> > 1) A boost in horse power
> > 2) A turbine whine
> > 3) Positive pressure on the manifold gage (it tested ok)
> >
> > I have taken it out on the freeway numerous times trying to get the
"boost"

> > I have also removed the turbine and and partially disassembled it, all
looks
> > good with the right clearances (I have the GM Corvair shop manuals).
> >
> > I can find no leaks in the exhaust, and tried with the muffler off to
> > eliminate a clogged or a wrong muffler.

The exhaust should be so tight I can stall a warm, idling engine by holding
my gloved hand tightly over the exhaust spout.