<VV> Re: brake rebuild - flaps lines

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Mon May 9 22:35:30 EDT 2005

Well I stopped by Autozone on the way home today and picked up a 12" 3/16 line (with American threads!) as well as a $5 tube bender.  Using the old line as a guide I got the new one bent pretty good.  You really have to get the ends parallel with the thread holes are those nuts aint going in.  The vendors should have no fear - I won't be bending up a whole set of these things.  One short one was OK but even then it was bit of trial and error.  I bled the brakes using a "one man brake bleeder" - essentially a plastic bottle with a line that connects to the bleed screw.  The tube won't let air back into the bleed screw.  It seemed to work - the brake work great.  It's amazing to look into the MC and see absolutely clear fluid - purty.  The fluid definately needed changing - it was pretty brown at first.

I stopped after a few miles to check the right rear (the one that locked up) wheel temperature and it was fine - no lockups, no smoke no funny smells.  Whew.

Thanks for the FLAPS suggestion guys, I've never seen the lines there before (and I've never needed one before).  They keep them in the back but they've got 'em.

BTW - on our evening test drive we went to our favorite local BBQ place and I guy I know from work who has a '60 Vette was there.  The cars looked pretty good parked next to each other.

mike