<VV> Corvair Sign from Reedman Chevrolet For Sale

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Wed May 11 19:52:44 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Sunday I (Dave Newell) got a call from a Domenic Idoni (spelling as yet
unconfirmed, sorry). Domenic is from the Baltimore area, involved with
Corvettes and seeks out Chevrolet signs for sign collectors. He recently
acquired the Corvair sign that was originally put up by Reedman Chevrolet in
Langhorne, PA. He's working on getting me some pictures, but meanwhile I
found this postcard pic in my files:

http://www.corvairkid.com/articles/images/Reedman_Chevy_Corvair_Sign_1.jpg
(close-up of sign)

http://www.corvairkid.com/articles/images/Reedman_Chevy_Corvair_Sign_2.jpg
(entire postcard showing building, lot, etc.)

The Corvair portion of the sign was put up in 1961 and "Trucks" was added
below it sometime later. Eventually "Corvair" was covered up with another
sign. Reedman was one of the largest Chevy dealers in the country and sold
out to the Toll Group last year, after 51 years in business. They sold a lot
of Corvairs over the years, and had one of the largest square footages of
any dealer.

According to Domenic, Stanley Reedman Jr. wanted the entire signage to go to
an appreciative home, but could no longer negotiate a price for it. Thus
Domenic was forced to deal with the Toll Group, and also had to pay for
removing the signs at reportedly considerable expense.

So he called me, with the hope that either the CPF or some Corvair collector
might want to buy the CORVAIR sign from the ensemble. Even though the
CORVAIR portion measures 20' long and about 4' tall, they were able to take
it down in one piece. It's double-sided and has several feet of steel box
built between each porcelain enamel face. One side is damaged, though I have
no idea how badly, and the original neon is completely gone.

Domenic said that he's looking at about $20K for the sign as-is, or $25K
restored by his people. That's $1,000 per foot! It could be cut down the
center lengthwise of the "box" and made into two signs, which is what you'd
have to do anyway to mount it on a building.

He asked me if I thought a Corvair buyer could be found. I told him (duh!)
that it wasn't likely at that price, but I'd pass the info along to
everyone. His cell phone number is 301-512-3567.

It's certainly the biggest Corvair sign known to exist, and it did come from
a famous dealer. Personally, I'm not too excited about a one-off dealer sign
at this price. He seemed sincere but I'm a little skeptical about his claims
of not making much or any profit on the sign.

Will keep you posted if I get his pix or hear more from him!

Dave Newell (via Kent Sullivan)