<VV> Corvairs and Deals from Hell

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Wed May 11 18:46:16 EDT 2005

Not really a deal because I didn't follow through with it but still a bad
story.

67 Monza 4 speed 140 HP listed on eBay was described as "running good."  I
did talk with the owner for more in depth info but lets just say that he was
imaginative in the description on the phone and in the auction.  Unfortunately, I
didn't have the time to see the vehicle before the end of bidding.  I will
NEVER do this again.

1.  Claim- Runs good but has oil leak onto the exhaust causing smoke.
Reality- Ran like crap and billowing smoke was coming out of the right exhaust pipe
not off of the pipe.  Apparently, the $10 gasket the seller claimed as all it
needed was probably a required rebuild.

2.  Claim- "Runs good" indicates to me that it is drivable.  Reality- After
the auction, the seller informed me that it was not drivable and had to be
towed.

3.  Claim-  An extra complete, freshly rebuilt 140 engine was included with
the car.  The seller said it had never been in a car after the rebuild.
Reality- There were numerous parts missing including distributor, carbs, oil cooler,
much shrouding, harmonic balancer, etc.  Also, there was old road grunge
around many of the bolts nuts and screws that would have been disturbed if the
engine had been rebuilt.

4.  Claim-  "Good 3 year old paint and good body."  Reality- Significant
cancer many places including around front and back windows, quarters and rockers.
This kind of problem doesn't happen in 3 years even if the body/paint work
was poor.  This is especially the case in SoCal.

5.  Claim- Radio is out of the car.  Reality- It appeared that someone had
removed the radio with a hatchet.  The large hole in the dash was ragged and
irregular.

6.  Claim-  (Actually auction photos.)  The seller was obviously creative
when taking the pictures for the auction.  None of the cancer locations showed
up.  Reality- many, many flaws were obvious at a distance when viewed in person.
 The angle of the photos did not show the dash and ripped up upholstery.

I could go on but will not.  Obviously, I did not follow through with the
deal.  Because I did not buy the car, the seller asked eBay to forgive him the
money they take on a deal of this magnitude.  eBay tried to stongarm me to
complete the deal but backed off when I described the situation.  I was not out the
price of the car but I did waste the day driving round trip for nothing and
the cost of gas was around $60.  Oh well, live and learn.

I was not overly cautious on this auction because I did not need to pay for
any of it immediately as some of the auctions require.  However, it was still a
hassle and could have earned me a negative feedback on eBay.  I strongly
suggest that the car be inspected by yourself or someone you trust before bidding.

I have had other "adventures" with other non Corvair cars including an air
trip to Florida to inspect a misrepresented 67 Vette big block I found in
Hemmings.  You can ask all the right questions but nothing can protect you from
deliberate lies other than an inspection.

Doc
'60 Vette; '61 Rampside; '64 Spyder; '65 Greenbrier; '66 Corsa; '67 Nova SS;
'68 Camaro ragtop
In a message dated 5/11/2005 1:49:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,