<VV> The "Real" Astro I Powertrain

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Fri May 13 18:53:45 EDT 2005

Hate to burst your collective bubble - but the Astro I
show car was just that: A show car. The men that worked
the Chevrolet Shows and Displays called them
"PushMobiles". Meaning you had to push them anywhere you
wanted them to go. When we picked up the Astro I from it's
warehouse stall in the Detroit Inner City area back in the
late '80's it was equipped with a 1964 164 cid powerglide
powertrain. It didn't run. It couldn't run. It was never
designed to run. The only thing that worked was the
steering and the raising roof/seat mechanism. I think the
engine and transaxle were brand new. Never used. The
"shifter" for the PG was a mocked up lever that was merely
glued to a panel in the interior of the show car. No
cables. No connection. Never intended to do anything but
look like a shifter. While GM did print up fliers that
touted the new overhead engine with all the bells and
whistles the show car got a plain old 110 and a 'glide.
Another interesting facet of the Astro I: the chassis
started out life as a Porsche 356. The Astro I iteration
was the 3rd use of that platform. This can be drawn from
the designation of XP---"C". The first two versions were
torn down and the final version is what we see today. -
Pete Koehler