<VV> What is the fate of my 1969 "140" Powertrain - VIN 105679W703328

Charles Lee chaz at properproper.com
Sat May 14 19:17:08 EDT 2005

Not an "Astro I" engine, but in 1970, I had my 1969 Monza convert stolen
(well, I didn't actually HAVE it stolen, someone did it without my
permission.)

The 1969 VIN was "105679W703328"

A year or two later, a "friend" (Smithtown, NY) bragged that he had a
genuine 1969 "140" 4-speed drivetrain, and he finally showed it to me, sure
enough "703328" was stamped right near the oil filler.

I made the mistake of saying it was from my 1969 Monza convert, and it
quickly disappeared and he avoided me from that point on.

A few more years later, I was at the NY "Auto Show" (Columbus Circle, NYC)
and there was a (lime green metallic ?) Kustom Karmann-Ghia, complete with a
nice shiny 1969 "140" engine.  Sure enough, "703328" was emblazoned on the
case by the oil filter !

I called police, but the car was "withdrawn" from competition, and never
appeared again (at least with my engine !)

Anyone else ever see this engine ?  Statutes of limitation have pretty much
expired by now, so have no fear !

I'd really like to know if anyone has ever seen what's left of my car ?
(VIN 105679W703328)

I still have all the original records from buying her back in 1969, and am
REALLY curious what was her fate ?

Thanks,

Chaz