<VV> Re: "How to evaluate a Vair" / APOLOGY / Long Response

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Sun May 15 13:54:59 EDT 2005

VVers:

>Steven Serenksa  is
>GONE...NADA...off line.......hopefully will return someday......
>
>Someone NICE,  sent me HIS  copy  to post on MY [ neutral]  website.  LOL!
>

>Happily the "Ideal Garage"  is back on line!  It will be interesting to see
>what Steve has to say!
>
>On my knees...kissing someone boots......

Kissing someone's boots?  Yuck, I think I might go back to "NADA".  :)

So, where have I been?  I have been off this list for about a year
because I'm trying to start a new company and am working the equivalent
of two jobs right now.  Because I chose my parents wrong, there are no
vast pools of startup capital available to me...all equity is "sweat
equity".  I had to cut back on a few of life's time-consuming pleasures,
and VV was one of them.

Even though I'm offline, I still drive my Corvairs every day.  I'm
touching wood while I write this, but another reason for my lack of VV
activity is that both cars just run and run and run.  I have driven the
convertible round-trip to Maine the past two summers (450-mile r/t) and
it was pure pleasure both times.  Neither car has been off the road --
not once -- in over two years (again, touching wood...).  Both cars
start right up every morning.  They really are great cars.

But everyone here knows that.

I'm not sure I'd call the rest of this post "interesting", but here's
what else has been happening since I was last on VV.  [This is a long
post -- Skip if you're busy.]

The Corvairs came out late this year because the winter lasted so long
up here.  The piles of salt weren't cleared away until the second week
of April.  I still haven't had the convertible out -- when I could enjoy
it -- yet this season.

Because my principal mission in life is to cause my four daughters to
roll their eyes heavenward as often as possible, I begin counting down
the days leading up to when I bring the Corvairs out weeks and weeks
before the actual day.  Over the past couple years, I have come to call
the day that the Corvairs are put back on the road "Roar Day", because
that's the day you can hear the Corvairs ROAR TO LIFE.  (Saying this
works particularly well if you pronounce "ROAR TO LIFE!" the way Tony
the Tiger would.)  I celebrate "Roar Day" in a number of ways, including
threatening to put a calendar on the fridge to 'X' off the days.  This
year, I also suggested that we "get the whole gang together and go
around the neighborhood to sing 'Merry Roar Day' carols".  As you might
expect, this was greeted with a less-than-enthusiastic response.  I
persist, however, because the eye-rolling, shoulder-sagging, and general
moaning of my 14-year old when I begin singing "Hark! The Herald Corvair
Roars!" at the top of my lungs is _completely_ worth it.

I have now owned my LM convertible
(http://www.serenska.com/IdealGarage/html/1965_monza_convertible.cfm)
for 6 years.  Because I drive my Corvairs every day and I live in a
small town (Bristol, RI), people know the cars by sight and sometimes
call me up or email me when they see another Corvair (i.e., to make sure
I know about it).  Last summer, I had a guy drive up to our door, knock,
and introduce himself.  He said he had gone out for a cup of coffee in
his new Monza convertible and a bunch of teenagers on bicycles at the
coffee shop gave him my address and directions to my house and suggested
he stop by.  I have no idea who the kids were, but I was particularly
pleased with the knowledge that the local youngsters had my Corvair on
their radar screens.  This is the new blood our hobby needs...

Contrary to rumors (perpetuated in part by the VV Chairman... :-O), the
Ideal Garage website (http://www.serenska.com/IdealGarage) has always
been up and running.  It was down for about 12 hours this past March --
and it was probably just a coincidence that people on VV couldn't get to
it when they tried.  Unfortunately, due to work, I haven't done too much
with the content on the website lately.  I'm backed up on several
garages that people have submitted and I apologize if any of you are
reading.

Frankly, I'm glad I put so much effort into the website back when I had
the time, because I think it has held up well and the site's popularity
seems to grow each day.  The only frustrating thing for me now is that I
had left off with a bunch of good ideas for the website and I'm not sure
when they'll ever be implemented.  I did a fair amount of research and
had gathered some good materials, but I didn't get a chance to implement
them.  Maybe I can turn them over to someone else who might have a bit
more time.

I'm also pleased to note that the "Buying a Corvair" questionnaire has
been downloaded over 850 times by around 750 different people.  If you
think about the total number of people in CORSA, the fact that 10-15% of
that number have downloaded the survey is pretty darned amazing.  I wish
I had the time to do more.

Finally, Matt, before I return to "NADA", we must discuss this matter of
your purloining the Buyers Questionnaire and posting it UNATTRIBUTED on
your "neutral" website.  Rest assured that you will soon be hearing from
my ULTRA Attorney, Norman Witte, Esq.  He will be representing me as we
sue you right down to your front seat buns.  Mmm-bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha...  :)

In all seriousness, if you haven't downloaded the Pre-purchase
checklist, you can find it at
http://www.serenska.com/IdealGarage/html/corvair_pre-purchase_questionn.cfm
.  I read through it last night and couldn't believe some of the detail
that's in there.  I compiled the questionnaire by culling information
from VV.  The turbo section, in particular, seemed pretty darned useful.
Take a look at it if you haven't lately.

That's enough for now.  I'll be back at some point.

Steven "O Come, All Ye Roar-ful" Serenska

http://www.serenska.com/Ideal Garage

'65 Monza Convertible, 110/4spd, factory A/C, AM/FM
'66 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd, factory A/C, AM/FM, headrests