<VV> Large oval floor plugs

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon May 16 17:48:07 EDT 2005

At 07:38 hours 05/15/2005, Kirby Smith wrote:
>The Corvair lower part was galvanized because, I suspect, GM was afraid of
>what might happen to a unibody car after it had rusted a while.  I believe
>the intended purpose of the holes was drainage when the car was pulled
>from the galvanizing bath.
>
>Too bad galvanizing was ignored for the next 30 years (or more -- are any
>US cars galvanized today?).  Audi's are welded from galvanized steel and
>then hot dip galvanized afterwards.  It really helps make up for using
>water based paints.
>
>kirby

Corvair floors were not galvanized.   In fact, they were oft times not even
painted other than what landed inside the car during the trip through the
spray booths.   In the beginning in 1960 there was almost nothing in the
order of rust prevention... later variants had rocker sheet metal and some
other components galvanized and rust protection coating applied...  some of
the stuff I've seen inside cut up early Vairs looked like zinc chromate
surface sealer not unlike the stuff used on airplanes to put off
corrosion.   Later variants had rust protection applied to rocker sheet
metal panels and brackets; galvanized coatings as well as painted coatings.

However, Vair bodies were never dipped in anything, much less hot-dip
galvanizing.     Too bad they weren't, more would still be around today
although they would have cost a good deal more to build.

Now, Chrysler dipped their car bodies in sealer, submerged completely, then
painted afterwards.   It worked... many '60s vintage Mopars held off the
metal mites for a long time.   I saw film footage of Mopar bodies going
through the sealer-dip process.    Unfortunately, although it did initially
protect the sheet metal from humidity and the resultant surface rusting, it
was not extremely durable and over time moisture would eventually find its
way through the sealer, especially in dark hidden recesses and the sheet
metal would rot just like any other car.

The saving grace was that those Mopars got an extra year or three of
resistance to the tin worms.

Those various holes in the floor sheet metal weren't for draining nor for
stress relief, they were assembly jig securement points.

tony..