<VV> Reality

vairologist at juno.com vairologist at juno.com
Wed May 18 03:22:35 EDT 2005

 Smitty says:  Way back in the 70s someone put a simple circuit in our
news letter to prevent simple car theft.  Nothing is going to protect it
if someone loads it on a flatbed with the tires sliding but this seemed
pretty slick to me at the time.  It utilized a switch under the dash for
the owner to operate.  In the Norm position it would allow a start with
the key as usual.  In the safe position it placed a dead short across the
positive terminal of the coil.  If someone tried to hot wire it they
would encounter a shorted circuit.  If the owner forgot the switch and
tried to start it , it would blow a fuse provided for that purpose to
remind him to form a new habit of putting the switch in the Norm
position.
        I wonder how hard it would be to get one of our electrically
minded to draw the circuit so that if the switch is in the safe position
and someone tries to hot wire it, it would blow the horn rather than
being shorted.  A circuit like that would be worth printing in the
Communique.