<VV> NC is DWB?

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Wed May 18 04:40:22 EDT 2005

Hi Todd

I think the guy who told me this was joking (he's a Republican, so I don't
think he was making any serious assertions of racism against the police).
But it did strike me as moderately plausible, based on the actions of our
own police.

Recently there has been a big stink in London because the police were found
to be stopping and searching about twice as many blacks (mostly
Afro-Caribbeans) as whites. They countered by saying Afro-Caribbeans were
responsible for about twice as much crime, so what they were doing was
statistically accurate. Then someone else countered by saying that blacks
were also twice as likely to be victims of crime (i.e. a high proportion of
crime is black on black) - and there I lost the thread of the argument.

I did think the 'DWB' thing was quite witty, though...

Cheers

Alan