Fwd: <VV> Glass LOF

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed May 18 11:57:44 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/17/2005 8:07:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hmlinc at sbcglobal.net writes:

> You may
> >have
> >noticed "LOF" printed on a lot of  automotive glass.  This stands for
> >"liquid
> >Oil Float."  As the inside  cools relatively slowly, it also shrinks

Doc,  Unless you are pulling our leg the LOF does stand for Libbey, Owens,
Ford.  Probably most glass today is "float glass" made by floating the glass on
another liquid--molten tin if memory serves me.  The process was invented in
Britain about sixty years ago (I think).  The tempering process takes place
after the glass is cut.

If anyone out there has some real world experience in glass manufacturing
they can give the definitive answer.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair