<VV> LOF

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Wed May 18 23:15:13 EDT 2005

Glass tempering isn't done with oil, it's done with air. Cool the surface
quickly, and then the delayed cooling of the core compresses the skin, making it
FAR harder to initiate a crack. But they aren't cooling those curved panes in
a float process. They cast the glass initially on a pool of molten tin, and
that pool has zones which allow it to cool on the molten metal surface, hence
float glass. A great way to make VERY smooth glass without polishing.

In a message dated 5/17/2005 8:20:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,