<VV> Ignition Resistor Wire & Tach Installation

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu May 19 02:30:15 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/18/05 1:51:50 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
greenbriergoon at yahoo.com writes:

> Anyone?
>
> Greenbrier Goon <greenbriergoon at yahoo.com> wrote:Since I have a Flamethrower
> coil and a Pertronix Igniter in my 1963 Greenbrier, would it be beneficial
> to eliminate the resistor wire in the engine compartment wiring loom?

Charles,
It seems like we have been over this subject many times before. So I'll
summarize the situation once and finally.

Assuming that you have an Ignitor 1 and its accompanying Flamethrower coil,
you should use a good digital multimeter (DVM) and measure the primary
resistance of your coil. If it measures about 1.35 ohms, then you should retain the
stock ballast resistor in the coil's circuit. But if it measures 2.5 ohms or
greater, then you should bypass the ballast resistor. This is because Pertronix
supplies two different Ignitor I coils----one for 6 cylinder engines and one
for 8 cyl. No telling which you might have gotten.

But then there is the red wire coning from the Ignitor. For best results,
this should be connected to +12 volts controlled by the ignition switch. It will
work by connecting the red wire to the + terminal on the coil, but that
voltage might be marginal under some conditions.

One final thing. If your ignition system was up to snuff before you installed
the Ignitor, you should NOT expect any performance gains. The Ignitor is for
reliability.

PS, the 40,000 volt coil is a marketing gimmick.

Regards,
Bob Helt