<VV> Greenbriar camper

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu May 19 15:33:06 EDT 2005

I had one of these, an early '63, that I purchased in about '72 and  kept
through the mid-eighties.  The original interior slowly morphed in to  a custom
interior and I eventually added a permanent "high-roof".  I'm  pretty sure the
vehicle has "moved to a higher place" though; I saw the "drilled  face" '62
Spyder dashon ebay a couple of months ago, for sale by  Larry's. The van was in
"show" condition when I sold it.

The interesting thing was that it was built on a "deluxe" Corvan  body.
Before it's initial conversion, there were no side windows  and the door emblem
said "Corvair 95".  Apparently, a "Deluxe"  Corvan was available as a COPO and
this was an example.  It had all  the stuff of a Deluxe Greenbrier (Chrome
bumpers, SS windshield trim, tinted  glass, two-tone dash paint, deluxe steering
wheel, deluxe front seat fabric,  and deluxe taillight trim)  I'm sure it came
from the factory that  way.  The conversion added two side windows on each
side and  these were "camper" type aluminum windows with a sliding section and
screen.  Inside, there were long springs that served as curtain rods and  two
panels of fabric were held taut on the inside of each side window.   There were
no rear quarter windows.  Inside the rear quarter panels there  were "floor"
to ceiling cabinets, storage on one side, a closet on the  other.  The kitchen
consisted of a sink with a hand pump and water  reservoir, an icebox, and (?)
a couple of drawers.  This may have been my  favorite Corvair, I owned it the
longest (twice, in fact) and put the most miles  on it (about 100k) - all
with a 140/4 powertrain.
Craig (longingly) Nicol