<VV> counter help - a bit off topic

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 20 03:27:40 EDT 2005

I don't know, he wanted his OWN quarter back plus another one, I guess.

As a teen, JR knew his 15 times AND 35 times tables in his head.  They only
taught up to 12 X 12 in schools.  He worked at a "Dairy Queen" which also
sold burgers.  There were .35 burgers and .15 burgers.  The .35 ones were
easy.  They were big and no one ordered very many of them.  3 of them would
be a buck five.  7 of the .15 were a buck five.  So, 14 of the .15 were 2.10

Oh yeah, in those days we counted the change back.  Order is total of 2.10
and you are handed a $5.00...  (Twenties then were like Fifties now - you
didn't like to break them).  So, it goes (you say out loud) 2.10 (for the
amount of the bill), 2.15 - you hand over a nickel, 2.25 - you hand over a
dime, 3 - you hand over 3 quarters, and 2 is 5 - you hand over $2.00  No one
ever seemed to get confused with that system.

That was BC (before computers) learned to count and people forgot how!

Later, JR