<VV> Re: EM still has electrical problems

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Sun May 22 00:00:59 EDT 2005

At 09:02 PM 5/21/2005 -0400, penneyracer1 wrote:
>Hi all once again.
>           My '64 monza keeps draining batteries. I put in a new one and 8
> hours later it was totally dead. I am asuming it has a short somewhere,
> but I have no idea how to troubleshoot it. Today I tried a diferent
> generator,regulator, and then the gen light came on very dim, then
> continued to get brighter. After a ten minute drive, I shut the car off
> and wouldn't start again. The multimeter showed varying voltage anywhere
> from 12.60 to 13 volts. Any ideas?

Hi,
OK, since you have a multimeter you have most of what you need.  Go to
Radio Shack and get a 1 Ohm 10 watt (or higher wattage) resistor.  Now you
have everything you need to trouble shoot this issue.  Yes, you likely are
having something drain the battery and it could be something as simple as
the glove box light being on all the time or something in the generator or
regulator shorted.  Shorts cause currents to flow when they should
not.  One approach is to monitor these currents and eliminate alternative
paths until you find the one where the shorted current is flowing.  Remove
either the connection to the negative or positive terminal to the battery
and connect the 1 ohm 10 watt resistor to the removed terminal with one
lead of the resistor and to the battery terminal you removed the terminal
from connect the other end of the resistor.  Now if you connect the
multimeter across the resistor's wires on each side of the resistor you can
monitor current flow by measuring the voltage across the resistor.  If you
have one amp of current you will see  one volt across the resistor.  Two
volts equals two amps of current drain.  You should see nothing if
everything is turned off and the door lights are off and nothing is
draining the battery.  Now disconnect some of the wires that are connected
to the battery's positive terminal.  You could first disconnect the
generator and see if the voltage across the resistor goes down, or the
regulator wiring.  Disconnect the connector in the harness leaving the
front of the engine compartment.  Continue eliminating sources of potential
current drain, like fuses, until suddenly the voltage across the resistor
drops to zero.  If the connector in the engine compartment causes the
current to go to zero, reconnect it and go to the inside fuses.  You could
also have a short in the wiring under the floor.  Once you can identify
current flow and eliminate alternatives you are on the right track and
slowly narrowing it down.

Some cautions are in order.  First, you cannot start the car or turn on the
headlights with this arrangement, since you will draw too much current and
thus too much across the resistor.  You must remove the resistor and
restore the connection before attempting to use the car.  You must hold the
door light switches closed or that will drain the battery.  Remember to
reconnect everything when you are done.

HTH,

Larry