<VV> Keystone cops

Charles Lee chaz at properproper.com
Sun May 22 20:52:38 EDT 2005

A while back, in Lindenhurst, Long Island, I owned two identical, silver
1962 Corvair "Lakewood" wagons

One of my treasured wagons was stolen..

I was driving the other one (the one with the KH wire wheels !) regularly in
the town where the stolen one was reported.

I was never stopped, not once.  I even took the plates off and drove without
them. Never got stopped.

One day, I saw a patrol car pull up and park behind my car.  The officer
went into the pizza place (No, not a donut shop), and came back out and sat
in his car eating his pizza.

>From a pay phone, I called the precinct, to "check up" on the progress of my
stolen car.  I was assured that "40,000 of the best trained eyes" were out
there, looking for my car.

The officer in the car finished his lunch and drove away.

I told the officer on the phone that I was driving an identical car, and I
had not been stopped yet.

In the next two days, I was stopped, with full lights and sirens, about
every two hours.

I feel so safe knowing that they are out there, though.