<VV> Import Carlisle Report

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Sun May 22 13:29:05 EDT 2005

So you ask why a report on an import car show NOT being marked off topic on VirtualVairs? Well, I'll tell
you....

First, I drove up my Tatra 2/603 to the meet, it's first extended outing. (For those of you that are
unfamiliar with it, it uses a rear-mounted aircooled hemi head V8 with a 4speed transaxle with a rear
swing arm suspension) . http://fnader.com/images/Tatra/

 With the exception of a strange grinding noise that the front disc brakes developed, it performed
flawlessly and got a great deal of attention, with many folks remarking that had GM built a full-size
Corvair, they were sure it would be similar in concept. (Many "wow, wouldn't Nader have had a field day
with THIS car" comments as well! )

So then I'm walking along the quattros...and there at the end (parked just at the edge of spectator
parking) is Tim Schwartz's beautiful Greenbrier which is getting more attention than the cars that are
actually IN the show! (This is not the first time I've bumped into Tim at a non-Corvair show... he showed
up with ANOTHER nice 95 at the National Microcar meet in Georgia a couple years ago...where his
Corvair got high levels of attention as well!)  And Al Lacki was with him, one of the first times I've met Al in
person. Great to bump into Corvair guys at these types of shows!

In my experience, the import cars guys really do recognize and appreciate the Corvair much more than
your average American car fan.

Anyway, the REAL story is not about me, but my wife. Some of you may recall that out of the blue  a few
years ago Marianne decided she wanted a late model Corvair convertible (instead of a late model BMW
convertible she had her eye on) despite the fact she'd never really spent much time driving my other
Corvairs. Well, a similar thing happened again...

We're walking through the car corral (where I was meeting a friend of a friend to look at his Ginetta G20
he had brought up from TN to sell... turns out I knew the guy myself as he was a Berkeley and Mini
Cooper owner as well...really small world sometimes...) and we walk past one of the nicest VW Westies
I've ever seen. It was an early model, low bumper '71 model that, except for a recent coat of paint and
yellow bumpers, was nearly perfectly original in appearance. It bugged me that I knew this VW from
somewhere, but couldn't place it.

My wife and stepdaughter have a big trip around the US planned for next summer... sort of a month of
driving around the country together before Katherine heads off to college... and she'd been trying to
figure out how to do it. Rent a car and stay at hotel? Drive our truck and tent camp, tow a small trailer
with her '67 vert, etc.  We had discussed an Ultravan (too big), a Greenbriar, etc... but nothing really hit
her...until she saw this Westy.

Now she had not really considered something like a Westy because of the lack of power (especially in
the old vans) and the fact she really didn't like the modern ones.  But as we walk around this one, I open
the engine compartment and IMMEDIATELY recognize where I knew it from... it's John Moody's Westy
that he bought NEW in Germany, drove around Europe (including the '72 Munich Olympics), imported
and drove here, then professionally converted to Corvair power/PG in the late 80's. I had no idea that
John had sold it while I was living in the midwest (and it was camouflaged even more by the fact the guy
had painted the bumpers bright yellow!)

Well, as the seller laid out the documentation John had provided, showed all of the redunant spares and
manuals John had equipped the van with for reliable touring (John is the consummate engineer) , and
knowing the performance and reliability that the Corvair drivetrain added to the VW, it became very clear
to Marianne that this was EXACTLY what she wanted to use for her trip (and likely for more local family
camping use as well).

After a period of extended discussion between Marianne and Katherine via cell, extended discussions
with the seller (a professional racing crew memeber), the recognization that he had really not modified
anything John had done, but only worked on the cosmetics and had only put 4000 miles on it, the deal
was done... with me _just_ outbidding a classic car dealer that also wanted it (the guy even gave me his
card to let me know he'd sell it to me... at a profit of course....)

Anyway, the yellow bumpers have to go and the engine could use a bit of detailing, but I'm very excited
about the new family member! And while I haven't spoken to John yet, I'll bet he'll be happy that the VW
has returned to the Corvair "fold"...

http://fnader.com/images/VW_Westy/

Guess I'll need to buy some sandals and some tie-dye... ;-)

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD
ps... did I mentioned I scored a premier Fall Carlisle swap space out of the deal as well?