<VV> The Route 66 adventure - Part 5 of ??

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 29 02:17:36 EDT 2005

Did I mention the rain?  Roughly 45% of the trip was in rain.  The pics from
Winslow show a large puddle in the lot by the building with the sign painted
on the side and one shot through the windshield shows the drops standing on
the trunk deck.  The good thing was - no leaks!  Also, night driving was
very chilly as the car has no heat.  Headers are installed and heater ports
from the engine (all of them) are blocked off.  I'll be going back to a
stock system in Illinois.

So, I left Winslow in the rear view mirror having only traveled 660 miles so
far.  According to plan, this should have been Shamrock Texas that I was
leaving on Sunday morning!  Daytime travel is warmer than nighttime travel,
I found out.  Except that it was still pretty cool because of all the rain.
In fact, I manage to find two five minute stretches of hail going across New
Mexico.  It is virtually impossible to find a bridge or anything else to
hide the car from the hail in the middle of NM, so I just slowed down so as
to not be meeting those nearly dime sized stones at 80mph.  Took it down to
around 35 or 40 in the hail.

When I was about an hour outside of Albuquerque NM, I placed a call to Geoff
Johnson.  I was on my way, just about 24 hours late.  Of course their "show
and shine" was long since over, but he said that he would come out to 40
just to say hello.  He did that, and brought his sister, Sally, along as
well.  We started talking in the parking lot of a gas station - you know -
checking out one another's cars - but the cold and the rain chased us
inside.  They were wearing shorts.  I had on long pants, having changed from
shorts in a gas station back down the road.  Geoff pointed out an old
section of 66 to me - just a few feet off of 40.  It was a two lane bridge
which is still standing and I got a couple of pictures there.  We parted -
they for home - me for (eventually) home as well.  I later found out Geoff
was in an accident on his way home, so now I feel bad about getting him out
there that day.

Bridge Pics at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hmlinc@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/3371&.src=ph

The rest of New Mexico was uneventful.  Pretty country when the rain clouds
would back away for a while.  Lots of cactus and some interesting hillside
formations.  Not a lot of green (but some).

So, I made some pretty good time on across NM and most of Texas.  Added a
quart of oil at Conway TX.  This was 1,260 mile into the trip.  A bit
excessive (I thought) for a car advertised as "uses no oil" and "engine
needs nothing".  On the other hand, I was now pushing it pretty hard - 80 to
85 most of the time and occasionally bumping 90 (indicated).  We all know
these Vair speedometers overstate the actual speed, right?  Anyway, a quart
in 1300 miles with better than half of those miles at high speeds is not all
that bad.

So, I'm cruising through Texas and it is getting dark and it is getting
cool, but not as cold as the prior night and I decide that I could make
Shamrock easily and, once there, decide if I want to go further.  Another
100 plus miles go by and now the car starts running funky (a technical
term).  I'm losing power - feels like one cylinder is not doing its fair
share - and an occasional backfire is starting to happen.  I'm essentially
in the middle of nowhere, but there is an exit for some small town that I
don't recall the name.  I get off there and limp into a sort of grocery
store, restaurant, gas station combination.  The only thing in town that
even remotely looked to have any life going on inside.

I open the engine compartment and see white foamy oil around the chrome vent
cap.  This has (had then) a non-stock setup with a cap on the breather tube
which (in stock formation) would normally exit into the air cleaner.  I ALSO
see that the dip stick had not been replaced at my last stop as it was
laying over on the right side where the spare would normally be.  There was
no room for the spare with these non-stock air cleaners in place.  I think
the chilly air and the dip stick tube being open combined to create that
whiteish looking oil out the breather.

So, OK, where is the paper towel that I had used to clean the dip stick?
Not in sight.  Did it get sucked into the fan?  Did I throw it away after
checking the oil?  I can't remember.  At this point, I reluctantly open the
"emergency" box.  I hoped to get home without needing to do that.  Bummer.
I wanted to get the cover off of the oil cooler because I was half way
expecting to find a blue paper towel there.  There is no head temp gauge
even though it is a 140 and I've dropped enough valve seats to know what
excessive heat can do to them.  Well, wouldn't you know it - I needed a
regular 5/16 end wrench (not in the box) to get that cover off because I
could not get the 1/4 inch drive socket up under the alternator.

It was about 9:00PM and I was tired.  The place would be open until 10PM.  I
went in for coffee and to use the facilities.  There were 3 or 4 guys in a
booth talking about some car they had worked on earlier that day.  They were
all mechanics but not a one of them offered to help this poor Corvair owner
out of a jam.  I went back out and was working out a way to get that second
sheet metal screw out when a nice guy pulls up and says he has the right
tools back at his place.  So, I limp the car - backfires and all - about 6
blocks down gravel streets (slowly) to his place.  It was a little bit
scary, to tell you the truth.  But, he does indeed have a garage full of
tools.  He repairs small engines for a living.  His name is Ty (like tie
your shoe, he says) and lives in a small town about 15 or so miles West of
Shamrock, TX.  So if anyone knows him, please tell me his address so I can
mail him back the wrench he made me keep.

Turns out there is no paper towel on the oil cooler.  Good!  But it is still
missing and back firing badly.  An inspection of the distributor cap shows
that it looks like new, but the rotor seems to be a bit corroded.  No
problem, rotor handy in the ER box!  Still has a miss.  Pull the coil wire
to see what the story is there and find a LOT of rust in the top of the
coil.  I'm guessing that the PO had cleaned the engine compartment at the
quarter car wash a few times and water got down in there to start the rust
going. His drive home did not get things warm enough to evaporate that
water.  Well, that is my working theory, anyway.   Some sand paper on the
coil wire tip and in the top of the coil itself and the car is running much
better.  Not quite right, but good enough to get me on down the road.  Did I
mention that it was a bit scary in the middle of nowhere on a gravel road?

I stopped at Shamrock Texas for the night.  Went immediately to the bar for
about four beers, then went to bed.  Distance traveled so far was 1,310
miles.  It was Sunday night - the night I had thought I would arrive home.

Later, JR