<VV> Survey: How Many Made It Home?

Flat6Vair Flat6Vair at insightbb.com
Sun May 29 19:30:04 EDT 2005

Most towed home (12) because either were in parts, or because I had to drive
there first -- hard to drive back two cars.

except the trip from heck......if i was a tad better <much better) mechanic,
the car would have made it home, but alas, I had lessons to learn.

Bought the 68 Fitch Sprint from Alaska while at the convention in Flagstaff.
Rode out with Rob Landers with if big red garage.  The sprint was for sale,
and i wanted a late model sprint.......only 1460 miles to go.  Knew the car
was mechanically sound,  plus had a trailer nearby with a running Yenko
inside,  just in case.  The big red rig has already suffered from
overheating (radiator was due to be replaced) and the trailer already had
one flat tire with a bulge in the remaining spare.....no sweat.....

somewhere near the border of new mexico and texas,  the rotor broke.   spark
was sporadic, to say the least,  misfiring so bad could barely make it up
the off ramp.   The big red garage to the rescue -- spare rotor and
distributor cap to match.....now nothing.....<i inadvertently turn the dist.
cap 180 degrees off,  like i said, IF i was a better mechanic....>   into
the trailer went the Fitch, And I drove the 67 Yenko for a few hundred
miles.....

Until we got into Oklahoma......the Yenko decided to have its own problems,
valve guide had come loose and was making a terrible noise....... On the
phone,  fellow show-me members were trailering my red Corsa.....maybe they
were behind us.....sure enough,  just a few hours back..   traded cars
again......Rob and I opted to travel another hour or two <in the dark> up
the road to "get ahead" of the other SMCC backup.  BAM.   We both hit an
extension ladder that had fallen onto the freeway.  Rob had a rung stuck
between his left rear duallies.  I had a big dent in the lower valance of
the Corsa -- and lost my corsa enterprise spoiler.  Oh well,  better the
corsa then the Sprint or Yenko.

As we reached Missouri.....a phone call..... the back up trailer , now with
Rob's Yenko on it, axle bearing went out....fried.  TOok the diasbled Sprint
out of the big red garage,  and Rob backtracked to fetch his Yenko.
Meanwhile,  A phone call to Jeff Moore resulted in a ride for the Fitch to
Moore's garage.  Hooray for the CORSA directory,  and Many Thanks to Jeff
Moore.   All made it home AOK.  the Fitch finally on a tow dolly the day
after everybody else as I went back to retrieve it.
turned the distributer 180, per larry claypool, john ryall, et al
suggestions,  and viola,  ran like a dream again. <til the next adventure>

long story short....trailered or towed every car home for one reason or
another (or three)

tim mahler
62, 68 Fitch Sprint
65 Yenko clone