<VV> How many made it home.

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Mon May 30 01:01:51 EDT 2005

Here's a funny one...  When I was in college, I worked at a Chevy
dealership.  This was in the 1974 to 1978 range.  A really bent  Corvair came into our
dealership bodyshop.  It was a  clean,  white '66 Monza with only 42k and a 110
PG.  The whole front end  was demolished and the right front headlight area
was folded up to almost  vertical; maybe 20" higher than normal.  The
windshield was pretty well  splattered too, though it was still in place.  I really
wanted the engine.

I made a deal with the insurance company, bought it, and drove it home  to be
parted out. By the time I got close to home, daylight was  fading and of
course there were no functional lights on the front of the  car.  A cop saw this
wreck rolling down the road and immediately hit his  red lights and pulled me
over. I'm sure he was ready to throw the book at  me.  When I immediately
blurted out "Boy am I glad to see you!", I caught  him offguard.  Continuing, I
said " I'm still half a mile from home, it's  getting dark and this thing doesn't
have any headlights.  Would you  mind escorting me to my house?"  Seconds
passed, then he agreed and off we  went!

Craig (It was fun to recall this little escape)  Nicol