<VV> longest trip in a Corvair

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Mon May 30 08:00:24 EDT 2005

Los Angeles - Sheboygan, Wisconson, Cleveland, Los Angeles. 3500-4000mi (???)
My friend, John Engelhart, had contracted with Solar Automotive (ca. 1973) to
build a Cavalier.  Now this was right before SA folded and soonafter they
actually did close their doors with John's car in process but not finished.  Art
Hershberger had told John that the car's bodywork was done and that all it
needed was an engine. To try to see what we could salvage, we drove there in my
'63 140/4 factory GB/95 Camper with a spare 140 powertrain supposedly for the
Cavalier, carried in the load area of the GB.  We arrived to find only a
primered shell.

Three significant events that came of the trip:
1) John made a deal to take the Solar catalog/demo car, a Sprint, and that
was a very fine car, but John was so bitter that he left the car with me for a
year, then sold it.
2) During the trip, at the tender age of 19, I perminently ruined my back
jerk-lifting a stuck tool box over the "cargo" engine. (The GB's generator failed)
3) The GB dropped a valve seat a few miles from Solar and their now
unemployed mechanic and I swapped-in the "cargo" 140 engine.
One out of three ain't bad...
C. Nicol