<VV> Re: Survey: How Many Made It Home? (long)

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Mon May 30 11:56:47 EDT 2005

Let's see...there's quite a few...

1978: Purchased 1966 Corsa from a college student about 10 miles from home
(Ludington, MI) No problems.  I eventually did a working restoration of
this car and drove it about 90,000 miles before rust cancer ate some
critical structural areas.  I still have the hulk.  Interestingly, my rust
repaired areas held up to 6+ years of year-round Midwest salt and crud.
Score = Y

1986: Purchased 1965 500 sedan (w/ 35k miles, 110/PG, no radio) from little
old lady in Florida while on vacation. Drove home 1100 miles to central IL
with wife following in 66 Corsa.  Changed oil at 100 miles into trip. Only
problem was howling positraction axle--found two different brand/size tires
on rear.  Had oil change place swap tires--problem solved.
Score = Y (qualified)

1988: Purchased 1962 8-door Greenbrier. Drove from Springfield to
Champaign, IL Started and ran well but engine got very hot.  Finally
discovered cylinder deflectors missing--motor cooked pretty good.
Score = Y (qualified)

1990: Acquired from college student 1963 Greenbrier.  Most rust-free
original FC I have ever seen but badly beat up, (I eventually plan to
restore this one), '65 110 car engine/PG.  Had a mysterious "squeak" in
engine but otherwise ran great.  I used this van for daily commuting for
about a year then loaded it to the roof when we moved from IL to the Upper
Peninsula of MI.  Drove for about a year here before the head gasket
blew...awaiting restoration.
Score = Y +

1995: Purchased 1965 Corsa from seller on IL/WI border.  Wife did not want
to drive separate on trip home so this one was trailered.
Score: none but would probably have been Y.

1997: Purchased 1964 Greenbrier through Communique in Sacramento, CA.  Flew
out and drove home 2200+ miles in 3 days.  Engine was beginning to run a
bit rough near end (points worn) but I pressed on regardless.  This
Greenbrier was sold to Jim Forgey of CT in 2004.  He flew to Detroit and
drove it home with only a minor throttle linkage problem (misadjustment).
Score = Y+ [me],  Y [Jim Forgey]

1999: Wife bought 1965 Monza at Detroit Homecoming. She it drove home
following our '64 Greenbrier, 625 miles.  No problems at all.
Score = Y

2004: Purchased 1965 Greenbrier from Steve Laser.  Shipped by enclosed
transport. Only drove 8 miles from D/O point to home (on a February
evening; 13F), huge Burst-O-Fuzz from heater/defroster, but no mechanical
problems.
Score = Y

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI