<VV> longest trip in a Corvair (a little long)

mr. Gary Segal mr.garysegal at verizon.net
Mon May 30 17:20:06 EDT 2005

caught the end of this thread - taken many long trips almost all trouble free in vairs.
1.  Maryland to the LA convention in our 64 Greenbrier via the Canadian rockies (within 500 miles of Alaska), then south to the convention, up the west coast to Seattle, then back home.  Approximately 11,000 miles.

The only real issue was a vibration that developed in the drivetrain in West Virginia - drove all the way to CA that way, pulled the drivetrain and reblanced the flywheel and pressure plate, then treturned home.

(PS van is for sale)

2.  Marland to Seattle and back in my 63 convertible (>200K miles at the time) for the convention.  Out and back without incident.  Did not even change the oil.

(PS car rusted in half a few years back!)

3.  Delivered John Dozsa's Lakewood to him in Cupertino over spring break in the mid 80's.  Picked ip a couple hitchhikers (I think near Topeka) after seeing them earlier in the day), then rode with the trucks at 80+ mph (Flat -out) into Denver.  Got stranded by a storm in Park City Utah and had no choice but to learn to ski.  Heading iinto California, sidelined by another snowstorm and a mandatory "chains must be used" sign - passed by a Greenbrier (no chains) while figuring out how to install the chains.  Otherwise no problems.

4.  Although not that far, probably the greatest adventure - Maryland to Vermont in my Greenbrier and my Rampside (exceptionally sorry specimen), 1 week apat on the way up, to move my to-be wife down from Vermont.  Squeezed all her worldly possesions into the 2 trucks then travelled home together without incident.  She married me in spite of the moving company.  (looked like the Beverly Hillbillies in 2 trucks!)