RE <VV> loong trips

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Mon May 30 17:57:29 EDT 2005

FEW mechanical parts of my car other than transmission cases and the like
are the full age of the car anymore, but it takes the failure of only ONE
40-year-old part to stop the car, or worse. Actually, I think my engine is
running its original (over 90,000) pistons, connecting rods, and on in.
     I also am subject to Morgan's Pucker Factor, but I also have what I'll
call the Lindbergh Factor (no, I'm not related to Lindbergh) to offset it -
I LIKE challenging my car with long trips, and have driven trips approaching
1,000 miles quite without trouble. I've got AAA, and I'm too old and ugly
for anyone to want to rape me, so I'm not much afraid of breakdowns after I
get out of my own city, in which I would HATE to break down.
     So, my major hesitation in taking Fireball on a long trip is more that
I don't want to pile a lot of miles on him, and that, cruising down the
interstate, it doesn't make much difference whether you're in a Corvair or a
Crown Victoria, except that the latter is quieter, roomier, and, yes, more
reliable (a newish Crown Vic, of course).
     I'd take Fireball from Miami to Portland, for example, except that I
don't want to take the time required for doing this to drive in ANYTHING for
that long. Now, I might not MAKE it to Portland, but since getting there on
time or even at all is a matter of pleasure, the trip would in that respect
be a perfect one to undertake in Fireball.
     I think the CAR would make it. Me, that might be something else.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C