<VV> Uprated Alternator?

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Tue May 31 15:53:02 EDT 2005

Slowly working out a plans on my newly-acquired '71 Corvair Westfalia...between upgraded H4 lighting, Hella driving lights, and dual batteries (inc a deep
cycle marine battery) I think the stock 35amp alternator might find itself overtaxed in some situations.  I'd like to upgrade, but don't know much about the
higher-output units.  Some questions:

1. I understand they are more prone to throw/break belts. This is a PG application, so should I be concerned about this since there are no harsh shifts?

2. It looks like many/most? of the uprated units are "single wire" types... since this is a "hack in" to the VW electrical system, I'm thinking I should stay with
a stock hookup... is this a misplaced concern? Are "normal" HO alternaters even available? Anyone have one for sale?

3. My Alt light already glows under heavy electrical use (headlamps, even brighter with turnsignals on)... is this an indication of an already taxed alternator or
more an indication of the mating of the electrical systems?

4. I want a VERY obvious indicator of a thrown belt. Use the small warning lamp to drive a relay to a much brighter light? Or set up a completely different
system like Warren's pressure-activated warning lamp? (The warning lamp "as is" would be sufficent for most of us, but I need it to be obvious for even
drivers of modern cars.)

5. I'm also thinking of adding a small, light cheap generator. This would be to provide some power for comfort items when camping without AC but also as a
backup to recharge the batteries should they both end up dead.... prices seem to range from $120 for an offbrand 950W 42lb 2 stroke to $900+ for a similar
Honda 4 stroke weighing 65lbs.  Anyone with any generator advice (or a used generator for sale?). Figured I could also get use of this in my race trailer...
assuming I ever go to the track again!

6. Last question... I'd like to "brag" about my Corvair power... John was too classy for this, allowing the performance to speak for itself.... but now with the
wide variety of transplants in use out there, what would be a subtle emblem/sticker to use on the back? I was thinking a simple "110" engine emblem...but
few people would recognize that as Corvair...

Overall, I'm looking for optimal touring reliability... the van is already set up extremely reliably thanks to John Moody... but as I'm adding gear and potentially
more inexperienced drivers I want to at least maintain the safety margin.

Thanks!
Bill Elliott