<VV> Uprated Alternator?

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Tue May 31 20:53:58 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Elliott" <Corvair at fnader.com>

> 5. I'm also thinking of adding a small, light cheap generator. This would
be to provide some power for comfort items when camping without AC but also
as a
> backup to recharge the batteries should they both end up dead.... prices
seem to range from $120 for an offbrand 950W 42lb 2 stroke to $900+ for a
similar
> Honda 4 stroke weighing 65lbs.  Anyone with any generator advice (or a
used generator for sale?). Figured I could also get use of this in my race
trailer...
> assuming I ever go to the track again!
> Thanks!
> Bill Elliott
***************
Hi ... a dirty little secret is that the cheapest generator is one that you
can crutch together using a junkyard truck alternator ( if 100 amps will do
it for you ) and a good industrial Briggs and Stratton from a discarded (
flea market ) lawn mower   .... this is how we do it in Iowuh, anyways ...

of course, ya onliest get 12 or 15 volts thatway, but hey that powers the
lights to the outhouse just fine ( junkyard car headlamps ) for us po bo's,
and cousin Grimshaw's music box he ripped outen a 18 wheeler rig ... we can
dance to Cajen music and freeze homemade ice cream with this setup ...

*********
I got a city cuz, he swears by the Honda generators, they are quiet,
reliable, and run for years without trouble ... I think they even got a 110
volt outlet on them .... gee whiz !

*******
Regards, Ken Campbell,