<VV> re;floor patch

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Tue May 31 22:07:51 EDT 2005

I certainly agree that ideally you should weld in your replacement floor pans versus rivets and adhesive.  That gets your car the closest to being like it was before the rust virus hit.  The problem is though, that not everyone has access to a welder or has the required skills.  Properly riveting and using the structural adhesive seems like a reasonable alternative to having NO floor pans.  I agree that if you just use a few rivets it'll hold it in place but won't really provide the structural integrity you want.

mike

------------------------------

Like you said, if I was worried that much about safety, I would not have
purchased a 40 year old car. I guess my point is, why make them worse than
they already are? Age, rust and repairs take their toll on cars. No, I've
never tested a riveted floor panel, I'm sure if revited properly, it will
hold up fine for everyday use. And the chances of getting in an accident are
kinda slim.  When I see a floor panel held in with 8 rivits, it makes me
wonder, if done with rivets every 2 to 3 inches, may be just fine. It
absolutely could be as safe as a welded panel, I don't know. I was an ASE
Master certified tech with multiple ICAR classes under my belt, a lot of
time in classes going over uni-bodies and crash results. Not to mention the
first hand experience in repairing vehicles.  Again, my opinion. ;)

Ron Tinkham

http://www.ronsjeepjunk.4t.com/

66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp

Maine