<VV> Re: Air compressor distribution lines -

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Wed Nov 2 09:30:49 EST 2005

------------------------------
<snip>

Oh yes....the ASTM pipe Schedules include a pressure spec.....anyone here
wanna guess what the pressure-spec is for Schedule 40 PVC pipe is?

John
> RonH

Well it depends on pipe size and temperature.  One spec I have shows 600 psi (water pressure, non-shock) for 1/2 pipe at 70 degress with a knockdown factor of .62 at 100 degrees and .22 at 140 degress.  1 inch pipe is 450 psi, 2 inch is 280 psi, both at 70 degrees.

I don't think the issue is whether PVC can take the static working pressures when first installed, I'm pretty sure we can all agree it can.  The problem comes in with deteriation of the PVC with age and exposure to UV and it's response to shock loads.  It's your castle, do what you want, but I don't think a responsible person can recommend PVC pipe for compressed air system to other people with what we've seen here recently.  I wouldn't anyway.  You might get away with it for years, who knows?  I rode a motorcycle for years and I always wore my helmet.  In all those years I only needed the helmet once, but I was sure glad I wore it when I needed it.  You have to weigh the risks versus the chance of failure versus the cost.

mike