<VV> Caveman batteries

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Nov 3 21:04:28 EST 2005

At 02:28 hours 11/03/2005, MarPack57 at aol.com wrote:
>OK guys we know 51 and 51R's work great in Vairs, but what do I use in a 60?
>Battery is just a touch to tall and the engine lid hinge hits the post, or am
>I missing something here? Ed in Fla
>  ___________________________________________

If you can stomach the cost, a Mazda Miata battery will fit the box
with room to spare and not hit the deck lid.

Or, you can do some creative metal work and relocate the battery tray
mounting holes and reposition it slightly.   Or, shop for the right
#51 battery that's short enough to clear... they vary slightly in
height depending on manufacturer and a little might be
enough.   There's a short one in the red '60 Monza that's also fitted
with a vinyl cover over the positive terminal to keep it from making
contact with the deck lid...  very close clearance, like 1/8" or
thereabouts but the vinyl plastic cover keeps the terminal from
making sparks on those hard bumps.

...made the terminal "insulator cover" from the cap off a can of carb
cleaner.    Not very stylish but it works nicely and it actually
stays in place, no problems.

tony..