<VV> Groaning, Backfiring, Loss of Power

Darrin Hartzler dhartzler at ifc.org
Fri Nov 4 09:46:51 EST 2005

Though it is like the carbs (if you have not had the stones out or looked
at the bowls, I would do that first), there are other possibilities.

I have had these same symptoms (including a squeal) and it turned out to
be a blower bearing that was going out....really killed power, but
intermitantly.   Later it killed power all the time.  Swapped with a spare
top cover with bearing and it ran beautifully.   Odd that it did not throw
the fan belt...just bogged the motor.

I spent a week disassembling and reassembling the carbs before I figured
out it was the blower bearing.

Are you sure the noise is the TO bearing?  Even if it is the carbs you
need to chase down that sound as well as it can leave by the side of the
road.

Darrin