<VV> 185/80/13 Early Tires: Which Ones Do I Buy?

Bowtie Guy bowtieguy at cox.net
Sat Nov 5 20:49:27 EST 2005

The internet is a good tool but common sense advice from people who have experience with their tires is worth a great deal too. My current tires are 175/80/13 Diamondback Classics. I have searched the replacement possibilities and they are: Cooper Trendsetter SE, Firestone FR380, Kumho AS795(rated highly by Consumer Reports), Hercules MRIV and MRX PLUS IV, Douglas Extra-Trac, Peerless President II and MasterCraft ASIV.

The Diamondback Classics are based upon the Hercules tires. Online Tires carries them for much less than the $129 per tire that I paid 6 years ago. Kumho is available at my Sears dealer and is highly rated. Coopers are local and rated well online. Peerless is local and cheap but is comparable to the FR380 which is not rated well. Any and all experience with the tires listed above would be appreciated.

Bob Vukas
bowtieguy at cox.net