<VV> CORVAIR ALTERNATOR MOUNT WITH REMOTE OIL FILTER! Item number: 458741...

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Nov 5 19:52:21 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/5/2005 1:11:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
JVHRoberts at aol.com writes:

CORVAIR  ALTERNATOR MOUNT WITH REMOTE OIL FILTER! Item   number:
4587419854

What application did this have? Was  there  a van remote cooler?

This was likely a modification to put the Corvair engine into  a VW bus. With
the "Transvair" kit, originally from Hadley Chassis  Engineering then from
Clarks, as well as the Crown Bus kit, the oil filter was  hung out the back in a
precarious position. They suggested sawing off the filter  and doing just
what you see here, threading it for hose adapters to remote it,  usually onto the
rear part of the drivers side wheel well. Most people just used  the remote
adapters that were on the market, allowing standard filters  (non-Corvair) to
be used. I built one of these for a 1968 VW Campmobile and  remoted the filter
to the wheelwell. My wife and I drove it to the 1975 Corsa  Convention in
Seattle, stayed in it at a campground nearby, then drove into  Canada across to
Baniff and Calgary, Alberta. - Seth  Emerson