<VV> PG 140 motor rebuild, more

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Nov 5 20:04:50 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/5/05 2:47:05 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
Corvair at fnader.com writes:

> Let's say he wants to use the stock Corsa 140 crank instead of the retarded
> PG140 crank. The stock 140 891/304 cam would be a dog behind a PG and the
> 889 cam would top out way too soon (which is why they retarded the crank to
> move the power band up the rpm scale a bit).

I told him that he can use an 889 cam and retard it at the cam, thus using
the stock crank as is.

> Would an improved cam like the Clark's 260 grind (which reportedly has much
> more low end than the 304 cam) work in place of the 889 cam without retarding
> the crank? Maybe have the best of both worlds?

In my opinion, one would have to install the retarded 889 cam and run some
tests. then install the 260 cam and repeat the tests. Finally, evaluate both
tests and draw conclusions. Otherwise it's just a speculation.

Sure maybe the 260 cam is better, but for the PG, does it have the great low
speed performance of the retarded 889 cam or not? Let's see the data first. If
this combo is so great, why didn't the factory use it?
Regards,
Bob Helt