<VV> Glove box lock

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Nov 6 15:34:39 EST 2005

>HiHal at adelphia.net

One of the things that bothered me about the new 'vair was that the trunk
key did not fit the glove box. Yesterday at the St. Augustine show was able
to purchase a lock with key. Close but not good enough since would feel
that having 2 different keys on the keyring a kludge.

With the lock in hand to remove the cylinder, first the arm spring on the
back needs to be removed (jewelers driver was easy enough). This allow the
slide bar in the outer housing to move freely. Then insering the key and
rotating a bit will soon have the inner cylinder in your hand.

Fortunately with jiggling, the new key also allowed me to remove my
original cylinder so I had two to work with ( once the inner cylinder is
removed, the key code is also visible and a new key can be cut from that
however what I needed was a cylinder to match the keys I had, would need to
pull the trunk cyl to find the actual code needed).

In my case I wanted to just have one key fit all so a bit more was
required. Fortunately my original key was correct for three of the five
positions so just had two to fill however between those and the other cyl I
had five slides (are really not that many possibilities and quickly found
two that would match my key (or almost, a bit of file work was necessary
for smooth operation) and with about 20 minnute effort I had a glove box
cylinder that would work with my existing trunk key. Really not hard at all.

Nore: the factory crimps the cyl slightly to hold each slide in place. I
just opened these a little with a medium jeweler's screwdriver so I could
pull the slide out with needle nosed pliers but would pop back in place and
stay when reinserted. Made mixing and matching a lot easier. Once the lock
is back in the outer housing, there is no retention issue any longer.
Teensy spring should stay in place when slide is removed.

Padgett