<VV> paint stripper warning

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Mon Nov 7 09:24:01 EST 2005

True DuPont Corian is Lucite (plexiglass, acrylic) filled with aluminum
oxide (sapphire).  While extremely durable, there are chemicals which
attack Lucite, the primary residual componenet of acrylic lacquer paints
(which  I think GM used in the 60s).  Note the corrspondence here
between the sink material and paint that paint stripper can strip.  If
the stripper ingredient (methyl cellusolve?) was able to penetrate the
acrylic deeply, it could have changed the chemical stucture, as well as
bleached out the color.

Is this sink embedded in a Corian countertop?  If so, mayby spot repairs
are possible by your Corian counter guy by drilling out sections and
replacing with cored fresh material from stock --  a lot of labor.  If a
stand-alone sink, I vote for replacement.  Either way, the wheels get
expensive, but the consequences of not doing anything would make any
married man shudder.  :)

kirby