<VV> Quick Steering Sector

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Nov 7 23:05:52 EST 2005

> > The car already has a factory stock fast-ratio steering sector in it
> > which  I rebuilt.  It's still too slow for autocrossing.

3 turns is fast enough if the wheel is the right size and in the right
place. Too big and too close as in the stock wheel just won't work. Too
small and too far away is just as bad (like a 13.5" wheel with a 2" dish).
About a foot from my chest is the right place for me, I like my elbows bent
about 45 degrees when at 3 and 9.

Had a lot of fun last weekend in St. Augustine rediscovering autocrossing,
it had been over 15 years since my last outing and a lot of things came
back (like belting in tight and semi reclining with the seat all of the way
back and then getting help to move the seat one notch forward - a full
harness is one of the necessary items).

Also when the adrenaline gets going, everything slows down and there is no
awareness of how heavy the steering is  or anything other than is the car
going where you want it to though your muscles may have something to say
afterwards.

Had forgotten just how nice a Corvair was about steering with all four
wheels and when they all are talking you really do not need much input from
the steering wheel. If a lot of sudden cranking is urgent, you are already
in trouble, the question is only "how bad".

Am of the "slow hands" school myself.

Padgett