<VV> valve adjustment

Keith Hammett keith.hammett at stainlessfab.com
Tue Nov 8 09:04:41 EST 2005

It seams most people are in agreement that the valves are too tight
causing the backfire through the carbs and exhaust.  Last night I took
the right valve cover off and had a peek at my adjustment.  With the #1
cylinder on TDC the #1 exhaust and intake, #3 intake, and #5 exhaust
rockers had slight movement (could rock on valve stem).  The #3 exhaust
and #5 intake were tight (valves open).  I backed off the #1 intake and
tried to adjust it again, pulled the pushrod out some and put back in.
Then started tightening the rocker nut until no in-out movement was
felt, then one half turn more, this gave the same result as before.  All
the valves show about 3 threads on the rocker stud.

I used stock cam (reground), lifters from CU (their stock), and reused
the original push rods.  Are the 3 threads about right or is this an
indication that they are to tight.  I am a bit hesitant to back off the
nut any since it seams that the push rod is really loose then and could
come out of its dimple.

This morning I thought about using the old lifters to "practice" getting
the feel for the movement of the valve in the lifter.  This way I could
see it.

Keith Hammett