<VV> valve adjustment

Keith Hammett keith.hammett at stainlessfab.com
Tue Nov 8 10:36:10 EST 2005

Seth,

I have not done a compression test yet.  When I pulled the right valve
cover last night I observed that the valves were closing, at least when
the engine is cold.  A compression test done both when the engine is
cold and hot might reveal something.  When time allows I will run this
and see what happens.

Bob,

I did not yank the left cover last night (ran out of time).  I do
remember that when I adjusted the valves all were about the same as far
as thread count goes.  This is a rough estimate but a good indicator
that something isn't really wrong.  In order to do the hot adjustment I
will have to get some half covers or covers drilled for adjusting the
rocker nut.  I would like to exhaust any other possible causes before
doing this.  Do you have any other ideas as to a cause?  Someone else
mentioned possibly the distributor is off, or bad.  I can swap it out
with another one that I have and see if it changes anything.

Seth and Bob replied:

Have you done a compression test on the motor? If the valves are being
held open for some reason, this should show it. - Seth

What about the other bank? Why not do a hot valve adjustment now? 3
threads is about right, but I wouldn't place much emphasis on that
because its too inaccurate.
Regards,
Bob Helt