<VV> Re: 2006 convention / passports

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Thu Nov 10 10:17:54 EST 2005

Folks
Also remember Canada IS on the metric system. If driving a waterpumper, start trying to use the KMH markings or switch your dash over to metric. Speed limits are only posted in KM/hr. Temperatures are also announced only in degrees Celsius on Canadian Radio and TV.

For those of us raised along the border, it's difficult to remember sometimes that Canada is a soverign nation, and crossing the border, something we did barely without thinking of it for years, has become much more involved and serious. It's for our protection as well as the Canadians.

Whatever you do, DON'T SHOW CUSTOMS OFFICIALS ANY ATTITUDE. ON EITHER SIDE!!!!!
There is NO compunction to lock you up. They have the Patriot Act on their side, and they don't mind invoking it one little bit.

Always be polite, even when they are being a PITA. And they usually are. Especially in the summertime when things are really busy at the crossings with tourists.
Being "in the right" is fine and dandy, but you can easily end up mentioning that while in Federal or Canadian detention.

Officer Donut sez: Fair warning has been given.
HANK