<VV> Tire Lasting Qualities and Choices Update

bowtieguy at cox.net bowtieguy at cox.net
Thu Nov 10 13:08:29 EST 2005

I received responses from DiamondBack Whitewall Tires. They made the tires I have now on my early Monza 'vert. There new tire is based upon the Douglas Quadra SE on a 185/80/13 core. They cost $132 per tire plus freight.

The obvious choices are to go bias ply with the 6.50 x 13 from Coker or another source. DB as noted above offers their "correct" looking tire at a price. The Kumho AS 795 costs $33 at TireRack plus $12 freight. Sears can get the Kumho for $46.99 plus $9.99 for mounting and balancing. It cost $2.99 per new additional valve stem.

The Cooper Trendsetter SE costs $45 per tire plus $8 mounting and balancing. Performance Plus Tires offers the Toyo 800 Ultra for $58. A&R Tires offers the Bridgestone Insignia Sl at 46.02, the Hankook 714 at 39.10 and the Dayton Quadra SE at 37.70. Peerless Tyre offers the President II on sale for 26.99. Their tires are made by Bridgestone.

The models I believe not worthy of consideration due to bad reviews are the Firestone FR380 and the Big O Custom SBR. There are other off brand names out there I'm sure to be had but price is not always the only consideration. I believe that quality and service after the sale is important too for mounting, rotating and balancing, as well as repairs. The other factors to consider are weather, yearly mileage, how far you will travel with the car and who sells the tire that is reasonably close to you for service.

Richard, from DiamondBack also mentioned that roughly after 8 years, tires will rot on a collector car. Think about that too. This year My Corvair's generator and regulator were rebuilt, the floor,door sill plates,insulation, carpeting,dash pad and rear seat were replaced, as well as the trunk painted. I will save now for that new convertible top for '06 and clean my whitewalls.

Last, but not least, consider having any tire you buy, siped. Check out www.sipers.com.