<VV> Re: 2006 convention

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Thu Nov 10 15:46:28 EST 2005

> Based on many previous experiences a Passport is extremely helpful in
> getting back into the US.  Crossing the border into Canada is very
> easy; it is getting back into the US that is the problem.
> Jim Davis

Just as an FYI.  The passport IS a good idea.  If you are planning on
crossing with MINOR CHILDREN, bring a copy of a birth certificate....things
get REALLY dicey if you don't.  Based on past experiences, the border
crossings at both Buffalo (Peace Bridge) and Detroit/Windsor are a royal
PITA (Heck...I live in Toledo and wish _I_ could legally  keep some of the
more anti-social residents of Detroit from crossing into Ohio!)!  I always
had a better experience at Niagara.

Based on a job I worked this summer at Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., neither side
of the border is particularly onerous or even difficult.  Transit times
through Customs were about as long as they were 20 years ago, the questions
were the same....the only change was a picture ID/drivers license.

Don't get any shorts in a bunch over potential border problems and miss some
really neat stuff up in the Great White North as a result!  The Niagara
Peninsula and the surrounding lake shore in Ontario is VERY nice, and worth
the trip!  A drive down the Welland Canal is worth the time and effort
getting across the border all by itself!

John