<VV> Birthday--mandatory Corvair Content

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Nov 11 12:11:10 EST 2005

At 01:25 hours 11/10/2005, kovacsmj wrote:
>My boss at work drives a Corvair and is damm proud to be a Marine too.
>
>Getting all the information is most of the solution.
>
>MIKE KOVACS ex USAF Sgt

I'm gonna weigh in here, as regards birthdays and Vairs and Marines
etc.   One of the "old bikers" who rode with us also evolved into the
restaurant raiders crew once his health had made riding an "iffy"
proposition, the "RR" bunch also being mostly old bikers.   He was a
Marine, Roscoe Wilson, a 5'2" tall marine... which means he was a
mean little bastard the entire time he was in Uniform.    Car guy as
well as an old biker, VW beetle driver, talked Corvairs whenever I
had one in attendance at the "eat-em-up",  always a quick smile and a joke.

I said good-by to Roscoe last night at the funeral home, as he lay
there on the birthday of the Marine Corps, dressed in his Marine
uniform with ribbons above the left pocket, nametag above the right,
stripes on the sleeves, garrison cap neatly folded and draped over
his left arm as he lay there.

Among the bike bunch, it was Roscoe who always was first to have
something positive to say about Corvairs and likely would have driven
one if he'd had one, interested in things air-cooled... seemed to
like late Vairs if the comments about the blue '67 coupe were any
indication.

Roscoe was 70.    Maybe off-topic but today being Veterans Day kinda
lends me confidence to post this in reflection of the guys who were
proud to wear the Uniform, such as Roscoe who never forgot that once
a Marine, always a Marine, Semper Fi.    Ditto, to those who wore
other Uniforms.

tony..   3rd Recon Sqdn 7th US Cav.

...so long,  Roscoe