<VV> Trouble with idle back

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Nov 12 17:05:52 EST 2005

Just won't keep running but think carbs and ignition are sorted out. Hot
idle in neutral 750-800. In drive, idles for a while at 500-600, then
misfires once or twice, then quits. Odd rattling noise sometimes just
before quits almost like a lifter. Right now has 50 jets, 52s have been
suggested.

Discovered that if I put finger over crankcase breather tube (one that goes
into air cleaner) at slow idle, pressure will build up and oil comes out of
dip stick tube. Wire goes through breather orifice to balance tube but not
3/16 drill. Cold compression is above 150 psi on all six. Certain amount of
smoke from breather at idle.

20 to 30 mph floored in L is 3-4 seconds (110/PG/3.55). Is this about right
? Power seems adequate  Seems to run best above 45 mph.

74k on odo and probably on engine.

Opinions ? Should I be planning a rebuild ?

Padgett